Saturday 9 June 2012

A Day at the Races Cake

Angela, a lovely lady for whom I had previously made her daughters’ birthday cakes, recently contacted me regarding her husband Ray’s impending 50th Birthday.   They were having a party and wanted a novelty cake for the celebrations.
The brief consisted of a cake which reflects some, or all, of Ray’s passions and one large enough to accommodate the 80 guests.   Angela told me of Ray’s love of horse racing, a red Kawasaki motorbike and, obviously, his two beautiful girls.
Having thought about the brief for a few days I contacted Angela and suggested that we go with a ‘Day at the Races’ theme, which would also incorporate the girls.   She was happy for me to take the design whatever way I felt would work best.
I asked some knowledgeable friends and family to give me some racing paraphernalia from which I might get ideas.  This was most helpful and gave me the final idea to finish the cake design.   
Having completed the cake I was very happy with how it turned out and was very confident that it hit the mark for the occasion.   I must admit, however, that a little doubt did set in for a fleeting moment the night before delivery.   When talking to Angela she mentioned that the girls were very excited and had been asking about the cake but she couldn’t tell them anything about it as she had no idea of how it would look either.   She said that she was equally as excited and couldn’t wait to see it, but knew that I wouldn’t disappoint.   There’s nothing like the pressure of expectation!!  
Well there was no need for doubt - Angela and family loved the cake.   What more can I ask for, an exciting cake project, a dream client to work for and, most importantly, a client delighted with the cake.

A Day at the Races Cake, 2nd June 2012



A Day at the Races Cake, 2nd June 2012

A Day at the Races Cake, 2nd June 2012


2 comments:

  1. Another one of your fabulous designs AnneMarie...you must get such a buzz from creating these one offs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Patricia. This was a big one, a lot of cake. Great to be given such free reign. Client not only loved cake but recognised and appreciated time and effort it took.

    ReplyDelete