Thursday 12 April 2012

Barney Cake

In May, 2011 a little girl turned 2.   My birthday present was the cake.  
At that time the Birthday Girl, like most two year olds, was going through a ‘Barney Obsession Phase’ and so her older sister decided that I should make a Barney cake.
With some merchandise borrowed from my niece and nephew (a musical book and a ‘Singing in the Rain’ soft toy), I set about the task of trying to create the image of Barney and friends in sugar paste.  
Modelling specific characters is not as easy as it might seem, getting the right expression can be difficult.   With this particular cake, I felt the key to getting the look right was to get the very distinctive character colours as close to reality as possible.   Mixing a specific shade of purple took some time but once I got a shade I was happy with I felt the rest would slot into place.

The Birthday Girl loved her cake and, most importantly, recognised the characters.   This was her first chance to really appreciate a day focused completely on her and it was great to see how delighted she was with the fuss and how she proudly referred to “MY CAKE”.
11 months later she is now fully aware of what's involved in a Birthday celebration and has been compiling her wish list of party treats and cake design.   For my part, I just need to focus on the cake, which will again be my present.   Keep an eye on next month’s posts to see this year’s cake.

Barney Cake, 15th May 2011





Barney Cake, 15th May 2011
  

Barney Cake, 15th May 2011
 



Barney Cake, 15th May 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment