Sunday 13 May 2012

Dennis the Dog Cake


A colleague in work recently announced that she plans on moving back to her home city of Cork at the end of the month.   As her son was celebrating his 2nd birthday this weekend I offered to make the birthday cake, as my leaving present.


I asked if he had any specific interests which I could use as a theme for the cake.   One of the things she mentioned was that he has a ‘Dennis’ which he absolutely loves.   I initially thought she was referring to Dennis the Menace but discovered that ‘Dennis’ is in fact a child’s blankie or comforter.   The idea of draping a blankie on a cake was immediately appealing.

I asked for photos of ‘Dennis’ (see below) and set about recreating his image in sugarpaste.   I must admit getting the stripes right was fairly time consuming but the end result was fantastic and worth the effort.  

I delivered the cake on Friday in work, much to the delight of my colleague.   The rest of the guys in work also fell in love with the cuteness of Dennis.

Dennis the Dog Cake, 11th May 2012



Dennis (cake) & Dennis (blankie), 11th May 2012

Dennis the Dog Cake, 11th May 2012

Dennis the Dog Cake, 11th May 2012
Dennis the Dog Cake, 11th April 2012





Actual Dennis photo from Mum
Actual Dennis photo from Mum

No comments:

Post a Comment